The Water Department is responsible for operating the collection, treatment and distribution facilities that provide water to the community. Specific duties include:
- Cleaning, disinfecting and repairing the 16 wells that provide raw water
- Operating the water treatment plant
- Overseeing installation of water infrastructure in new subdivisions
- Performing routine maintenance and repairing valves and hydrants on the distribution system
- Preparing monthly reports as required by the Department of Natural Resources and the Environmental Protection Agency
- Providing customer support for water-related concerns and questions
Sioux Center has two primary sources for its water - a shallow alluvial aquifer and a buried channel aquifer. Wells located in each of the aquifers pump raw water to the treatment plant, where iron and manganese are removed and chlorine disinfection occurs.
The water treatment plant is capable of treating 1,600 gallons per minute. The water utility serves 2,430 customers.
- Average daily water usage - 1,000,000 gallons
- Average residential water bill - $32
- Peak daily water usage - 1,760,000 gallons